ID Documentation

Processes to replace lost identification documentation.

Identification Steps

Steps to replace documents when you have lost all of your identifying documentation.

Birth Certificate

Born in Danbury

At the Danbury Town Clerk’s Office, you must bring your valid government-issued photo ID (i.e. Driver’s License or Passport) along with a completed application. Certificates are payable by cash or check payable to the City of Danbury. The fee is $20 per certificate. Credit cards are not accepted.

These certificates may also be requested by mail by downloading the birth certificate application.

Mail the completed request with the following requirements: Check or money order made payable to the City of Danbury. Include a photocopy of your valid government issued photo ID (i.e. Driver’s License or Passport). 

Mail application and a self-addressed stamped envelope to:
City of Danbury
Attn: Town Clerks Office
155 Deer Hill Ave.
Danbury, CT 06810

If you do not have a valid photo ID, a family member (parent, spouse or child) can apply for you.

Danbury Town Clerk

Born in Connecticut

All people born in the state of Connecticut can obtain a certified copy of their birth certificate by contacting the Connecticut State Department of Public Health-Vital Records Office.

Birth certificates are also obtainable from the vital records office in the city or town where the birth took place, the town of the mother’s residence at the time of the birth, or requests can be ordered online via VitalChek. VitalChek is the only third party vendor approved by CT DPH to accept vital record orders.

Department of Public HealthVitalChek

Born Outside of Connecticut

All people born outside of Connecticut must call or write the town clerk in their city or town of birth or the state Vital Records office in their home state to obtain copies of their birth certificates. For copies of birth certificates outside of Connecticut, access “Where to Write for Vital Records” on the National Center for Health Statistics website.


State ID

The applicant must be a Connecticut resident. To obtain an ID card, qualified persons must make an appointment at a DMV office.

For assistance making an online appointment, visit our DMV help page.

New-issue ID cards will not be processed at AAA offices or Nutmeg State Financial Credit Union locations.

Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles
2 Lee Mac Ave,
Danbury, CT 06810
(860) 263-5700

Appointment PageAppointment Help

Non-Driver Photo ID

A non-driver photo ID can also be obtained at the DMV. Along with identifying documents, you must bring a completed identification application form (form B-230) and payment for a fee of $28.00*.

US CitizenNon-US CitizenCT License or Permit Exchange

*The non-driver photo ID fee is waived for:

There are instances where you can use your voter registration card to obtain an ID. Download, print and mail back a voter registration form to:

Stamford Government Center
888 Washington Boulevard
P.O. Box 10152
Stamford, CT 06901

Social Security Card

You can request a replacement Social Security number (SSN) card online if you:

  • Are a U.S. citizen age 18 years or older with a U.S. mailing address.
  • Are not requesting a name change or any other change to your card.
  • Have a driver’s license or a state-issued identification card from one of the participating states or the District of Columbia.

If you cannot apply for a card online, you will need to provide the required documents. Fill out and print an Application for a Social Security Card and contact your local Social Security office.

Danbury Social Security Office
131 West St
Danbury, CT 0681
TTY: 1-203-744-2172

There is no charge for a Social Security card. This service is free.

Request OnlinePaper Application