Live at 5 Frequently Asked Questions

We have collected some helpful information and links for the most commonly asked questions during Mayor Boughton’s “Live at Five” announcements regarding COVD-19. For full list of City announcements, updates, and resources, please visit the City’s Website.

You can tune in for the “Live at 5” announcements through Mayor Boughton’s Facebook page. Announcements air at 5pm, but can be re-watched after the live broadcast has ended.

  • Where can I find the latest information about Governor Lamont’s reopening plan?
  • How can I get a coronavirus test?

    It is easy and free to get tested for COVID-19. Check out CT’s 211 Testing Locator and enter your town, zip code, street address, or county to find locations closest to you.

  • My child gets free/reduced lunch. How will I get food in the summer?

    Governor Lamont announces federal approval of increased SNAP food assistance for children in school meals program(Pandemic EBT program). All families in the 181 school districts in Connecticut participating in the federal free or reduced-price meals program are eligible to participate. The planned one-time benefit is $364.80 per child enrolled in the free and reduced-price meals program. Click here for full details.

  • How can I get food if I can’t leave the house?

    Age Well CT has compiled a number of resources for homebound residents who need help accessing food. Click here for their full list of resources.

  • When are schools going to reopen?

    The plan for reopening schools is ever evolving. State guidelines can be found here. As each district is responsible for its own reopening plan, the draft reopening plan for Danbury schools canbe found here.

  • Where can I find the latest information about the number of COVID-19 cases in Danbury?

    The City of Danbury’s Department of Health and Human Services releases a daily update each day on their Facebook page. Click here for Department of Health and Human Services Facebook page.

  • Which parks are open in Danbury?

    Tarrywile Park and Bear Mountain are open for individual hiking or hiking with members of your household. Others must practice proper social distancing at all times leaving at least 6 feet of space between you at all times.

    Richter Park will remain open and has taken several precautions for the safety of all players and guests. All carts are sanitized before and after each round and spaced 6 feet apart, no cash is accepted for tee times/pro shop, cups at each hole are raised 1″ to add height in order to reduce touching/germs. No more than one person should utilize a cart at a time unless you are sharing with another member of your household.

  • Do I have to wear a mask all the time?

    Governor Lamont has issued an executive order, effective at 8pm on April 20, 2020, mandating that any person in a public place in Connecticut who is unable to or does not maintain a safe social distance of approximately six feet from every other person shall cover their mouth and nose with a mask or cloth face-covering. In addition, individuals shall use a mask or cloth face covering when using the services of any taxi, car, livery, ride-sharing or similar service or means of mass public transit, or while within any semi-enclosed transit stop or waiting area. Here is the executive order it its entirety.

  • The DMV is closed, but my license/registration/emissions is set to expire soon. What do I do?

    Eligible DMV credentials that expire between March 10, 2020 and June 30, 2020 are automatically covered by a 180-day extension. The extension includes all Connecticut driver’s licenses, learner’s permits, identity cards, emissions testing and registrations. No late fees will be assessed for eligible credentials. As of June 23, DMV has begun offering In-Person, Appointment-Only Services. To learn more, please visit the DMV’s appointment page.

  • How do I apply for Danbury’s tax deferral program?

    The instructions and application form can be found here: COVID-19 Tax Deferral Program.

  • I haven’t gotten my stimulus check yet. How can I check on that?

    You can fill out an application through the IRS site to find out about your payment status, your payment type, and other information that may be required from you here: Get My Payment.

  • I need internet in my home for distance learning but I can’t afford it. What can I do?

    Comcast is offering 60 days of free internet access to qualifying homes. Learn more and apply for the Internet Essentials Program.

  • I lost my job due to coronavirus. Can I file for unemployment?

    If you become unemployed due to coronavirus (COVID-19), you should file for unemployment benefits. Click here to access the CT Department of Labor Website where you can file claims. Find answers to your filing and unemployment questions here: CT Department of Labor Frequently Asked Questions.

  • Is the boat launch at Candlewood Lake open?

    The boat launch will reopen on Friday, May 22, 2020. It will be open from 7am – 7pm. There is a maximum of 5 people per boat. No cash will be accepted. Credit/debit only. The fee can be pre-paid by calling Nick Kaplanis at the Danbury Parks Department : 203-797-4632

  • Can I still get a birth certificate/marriage license/anything else from City Hall?

    Yes. You can call the Town Clerk’s office at 203-797-4531. Leave a message detailing what you need and someone will get back to you as soon as they can.

  • I want to make a donation to the hospital or another City organization. Who do I contact?

    All donations are being handled by Taylor O’Brien in the Mayor’s office. You can email her at